4/30/12

Monologue Monday: 10 Reasons Why I’m Waiting

I guess this is a personal topic, but if you are curious about things like I was when I was a teen (and still am sometimesJ), then you want to know why someone should wait.

I’m not trying to force my ideas on you though; ultimately I think that this is a decision that you have to make for yourself (especially if you are going to stick with it). I just think that it would be helpful if someone else shared their reasons for waiting, and then maybe you can create your own list to remind you why you should too.

So here goes my reasoning behind my decision:

1.      I only want to give myself to one man, and to him only for the rest of my life- My ex says that sounds boring- THAT’S WHY HE’S MY EX!!! Seriously, I can think of nothing more precious than meeting my husband, him finding out that I saved myself for him and only him, and giving myself to him only for the rest of my life. Call me a romantic but…

2.      I don’t want the drama, ties, and confusion- EMOTIONS… Once you sleep with someone, you are giving him a piece of yourself not just physically, but emotionally too. I have heard of countless situations were someone was just doing the “no-strings attached” thing or “friends with benefits”, and all too quickly emotions and feelings naturally get involved, and it potentially ruins relationships.

3.      I want to get to know someone first before I allow my emotions and desires get in the way- Being intimate with people changes things. It changes you...I would rather just learn a person and see if I really LIKE him- his personality, habits, values, beliefs and so forth- before I allow him to have my heart.

4.      I want to set an example- Everybody is NOT doing it. Despite all of the negativity that the media portrays, and society reiterates, everybody is not just going around sleeping with each other. While this may happen a lot, it doesn’t happen for everyone. There are some people who are choosing to wait or to practice abstinence, and that decision is ok. I want those who are making that stance to know they are not alone. For all the tweens and teens out there who are trying to decide what the right move is for them, I have been there, been mocked and ridiculed for my decisions, and now as a 20 something female, I am proud to say I still am happy that I said no.

5.      I choose to- This seems simple enough, but I feel like if I hadn’t had made the decision before I started dating and getting into relationships, then I probably would have been up for whatever. This is a serious decision, so it’s not just something that should be decided in the heat of things. I thought about my values and what kind of relationship I ultimately wanted, and I am living my life accordingly. I’m waiting because I thought about it, I made a decision, and I am re-choosing to everyday. It’s as simple and as complex as a choice.

6.      I don’t want to be a statistic- I have already shared the story of my father dying of a heart attack when I was younger; so I was raised by a single mother. I don’t want to succumb to the tags that society places on children who grew up in single parent homes. You can be anything you want to be in life- always believe that.

7.      STDs and AIDs are real- True story: I was once talking to a girl, and she had just found out that her boyfriend gave her a STD. Know what she says: “I’m just glad it’s the kind that will clear up with a pill…I wish he wouldn’t do this too me’. What?!? Do you know how precious you and your body are? Why risk it? And if a guy is continuing to give you any type of disease, he’s not the one- FOR REAL.

8.      My body is precious and I don’t want to give it to just ANYBODY- It’s just not going to happen. I have witnessed too many drive-by relationships that leave either one or both parties feeling miserable and empty, and I just don’t want that. I realize how special I am and how important my body is, and I’m not about to share that with just anybody….(and he’s an “anybody” if we aren’t married).

9.      I haven’t met the right person yet- I value myself (not in a conceited way, but in a I know my worth humble kind of way). I don’t want to prematurely give my mind, body and soul to someone else just because I was impatient. I trust God and His timing, and when the time is right, I think things will fall into place. I’m not going to try to push/rush thing. At the moment I’m just enjoying living life, learning about myself, and exploring the world. Life is good.

10.  I’m a Christian, and I think that it’s the will of God- This is probably the most important reason why I am choosing to wait. I can’t pretend that on my own I would be so moral and good. The truth is that my faith and my religion are the foundation for my morals and principals. I am NOT good on my own. I fail, I sin, and I make mistakes…but I always try to search the Bible and find out what God says about this life that He has created. In doing so, I learned as a young child (with the help of my mom J), that saving oneself until marriage can be a beautiful experience…and I always wanted to experience that. I genuinely believe that it’s God’s will for sex to be shared between a husband and wife. I just believe that’s the way it was meant to be….

No comments:

Post a Comment

I really appreciate ya'll for taking the time to comment. Tell me your thoughts, and I'll try to respond back as soon as possible. Have a good day :)