8/6/12

Monologue Monday: Sally


I was telling ya’ll earlier in the 411 post here, that today you would meet my friend Sally. I’m genuinely SO EXCITED about her monologue! While all of the monologues that others have written have spoken to me in one way or another, Sally’s post really hit home for me the most.
As soon as I read it I called her up immediately and was like ‘I can’t wait to post this!’
Before I get into her story though, let me pump my breaks and tell you a little bit about her J.
Sally is the quintessential balance of fun and vivacity. While she is really thoughtful and very engaging, she says exactly what’s on her mind and she usually always keeps me laughing whenever I’m around her!
Until recently we only knew each other on a professional level, and then she came up and started talking to me one day and I was just like ‘this girl is really cool’!
After hanging out several times we realized that we shared a lot more things in common than we first thought, and she is quickly becoming one of those individuals that I’m glad that our paths crossed.
Throughout the year that I’ve known her, I know for sure that she’s always fun to be around, really energetic, very funny, and the perfect amount of attitude and sassy-ness! But enough of me blabbering about her, here’s her story in her own words:

Monologue Monday: Sally
Hello all! I love this blog and I’m excited for the opportunity to share my story. For me, the topic of virginity and waiting for marriage isn’t new because I was raised in a Christian home with parents who encouraged me in activities that kept me pure. Where I was from, waiting for marriage was a no-brainer because it’s what everyone did. Right?!?
At school I had many Christian friends who were also raised like me and believed they too would wait until marriage to have sex. In this type of atmosphere it was easy to hold fast to my beliefs because I was supported on every side. I was never forced to question this type of thinking because I had surrounded myself with people who thought like me.
Things started getting tricky in high school. Friends who had previously talked about waiting for marriage suddenly started having sex. The weird part to me was they seemed to suffer no outward consequences from having sex before marriage. Internally, I don’t know what was going on, but from the looks of things they seemed fine.
Seeing this really made me question my beliefs on waiting for marriage. The pain and suffering that I believed sex before marriage would cause didn’t seem to be existent. So then why are we doing this? Why are we waiting?
Things got even harder in college when I started hanging out with people who weren’t raised like me and people who never believed you should wait for marriage. Their parents didn’t wait and they were fine. These new people had had sex with multiple people and they seemed fine. Where was the death and destruction I was expecting?
The arguments I’d been taught in favor of waiting for marriage didn’t work with these new people. They had really good counter-arguments and solid points. So I gave up. I didn’t know what to believe anymore and I didn’t want to talk about it. I didn’t like having to rethink why I believed something.
In the end God really used this for good. He really pushed me to analyze why I believed what I believe. I came to realize I had followed a lot of Christian “rules” simply because people told me it’s what the Bible said.
Ultimately, this is an unhealthy way to live because your beliefs are not your own. For me it came down to whether or not I trusted God. The Bible says we should wait for marriage, but people who don’t wait for the most part seem fine to me. So did I trust God enough to believe He really did want what was best for me? Did I trust Him enough to follow His word despite evidence to the contrary?
And the answer to that was yes. I believe He does know what he’s doing and He does want the best for us.
So now I’m 26 years old and I’m still a virgin waiting for marriage. I’m not super vocal about it, but if asked I will discuss why I choose to remain a virgin. I no longer have fancy arguments and examples.
Maybe later I will, but for now my simple reasoning is this: I trust God.


No comments:

Post a Comment

I really appreciate ya'll for taking the time to comment. Tell me your thoughts, and I'll try to respond back as soon as possible. Have a good day :)